Saturday, February 27, 2016

Scottsdale in February

Here we are in Scottsdale staying in a condo near the Scottsdale TPC (Tournament Players' Course) in the northern part of Scottsdale. We came down from Seattle so we (especially Ikuko) could watch the Mariners play a couple of spring training games.

We flew out of SEATAC on an old Boeing 717 with ashtrays on the restroom doors. When I saw those ashtrays it caused a flashback to the days when people smoked on airplanes once they reached a certain altitude and the "no smoking" light went out.

I'll never forget leaving Vietnam in 1968. We flew out of Saigon, reached that magic altitude and all those GI's on the way home lit up. Even though I was a smoker at the time I almost gagged trying to breathe that blue air.

Back to the present. After an uneventful but often lumpy ride into Phoenix Sky Harbor Airport we made our way to our condo (Diamond Resorts International), checked in and relaxed after a long travel day.

Our condo is right next to a par three hole on the TPC Champions Course. We watched some of the players teeing off just across the fence. While some looked like champions most looked just about like me with not many balls landing on the green.
Par three tee box across the fence
We're on Mountain Standard Time here so this morning I rolled out of bed an hour before my usual time so I could walk around the area in the cool of the morning.

Wandering around the property I came upon the exercise room so spent 20 minutes on the treadmill all by myself in the room until another old guy came in to get an early morning workout. After another ten minutes on the artificial sidewalk I grabbed a towel and headed back out into the cool morning air.

The moon was still riding high in the early dawn so decided to try a couple low-light shots with the following results.
Dawning entry to our condo complex
The waning gibbous moon just before sunrise
Today's been a low profile day with visits to grocery stores for a few housekeeping items and short walks in the unseasonably warm Arizona weather. I wanted to go to the local Native American Museum but somehow the warm air, sunshine and lack of motivation have kept me close to home.

But, it's a vacation, after all, so not to worry, we may go to the museum tomorrow. Or maybe Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment