Wednesday, February 1, 2017

Give Blood - Save a Life

When I first donated blood, it was not long after I enlisted in the Army in 1959. One day the Drill Sergeant said, "You men volunteered to give blood. Corporal, march them down to the Red Cross." And that was the first time I gave blood.

Since that first time "volunteering" I have given blood off and on, depending on where in the world I happened to be. While stationed overseas, there might be the occasional blood drive but there wasn't a regular program that encouraged giving such as there is at BloodWorksNW here in Seattle.

Even in the days before the prevalence of HIV and other blood-borne diseases, if I had been stationed or traveled through some tropical countries, no blood donations were allowed. There were other restrictions as well but even with those, I managed to donate over four gallons by the end of 1976.

In 1980, while stationed in Panama, I developed a duodenal ulcer. By the time I figured out there was something wrong and went to the hospital, I had lost enough blood that I immediately was given three units of platelets, getting a little back for a change.

After I retired from the Army in 1981, I regularly gave blood again but after a year or two, developed borderline anemia so was barred from donating for several years.Two or three years ago I wanted to resume donating but travel to Vietnam and Laos (see blog entries from June and july 2015) was disqualifying. Just last fall the mandatory waiting period elapsed so I could donate again. When I stopped in at BloodWorksNW one day and gave blood, I was surprised how much things had changed since the last time I donated in the early nineties.

Compared to how it used to work the new system is amazingly user friendly.

  • You save time by making an appointment on line or by phone.
  • The screening questionnaire is done quickly on a small electronic device.
  • The hematocrit is a modern spun version so less blood is needed and it saves time.
  • The reclining couch is more ergonomically designed and extremely comfortable.
  • The actual blood draw is easier from beginning to end with modern crimping devices and even a covered needle extraction shroud.
  • They have machinery on site to separate out various parts of blood such as platelets, plasma or coagulation factors and return the rest to your body.
  • It seems the staffers and volunteers are friendlier and more efficient. Only the cookies, crackers and drinks are about the same. 
    Your blogger, hard at work, donating blood to save a life.

The appointment system is a real time saver for modern blood letting. Appointments are available on line or by phone and people with appointments receive faster service.  I was a walk-in last fall when I donated and fortunately they weren't busy so I didn't wait long. In November I made an appointment and I was in and out in about twenty-five minutes. Of course, I'm a fast bleeder so that also speeds things up.

Two weeks ago I had an appointment but changed it at the last minute so I could go in earlier. That was a mistake since I waited about 90 minutes after the screening to take my turn on the bleeding couch. While waiting I talked with the receptionist who let me in on a couple secrets: Mornings aren't as busy as afternoons. If you must drop by in the afternoon do it about an hour before scheduled closing time. Follow those suggestions and chances are you can just walk in without an appointment and still get fast service.

I understand that, for various reasons, many people can't donate blood. But if you can, follow my lead, stop by your friendly Blood Center and give a pint to save a life.


No comments:

Post a Comment