Saturday, September 23, 2017

An Old Vet

Last Saturday a friend and I went to see an old World War Two veteran and help celebrate his 105th birthday. I wrote a short recap of the event and sent it to the editor of our VFW newsletter for publication in the next issue. Our editor thought the piece should be on our Ballard Eagleson VFW Facebook page so she posted it along with a photo.

After it was posted, it received so much attention in such a short time that I thought I would post it here for my readers. If you like the post or the sentiments it expresses, and visit our FB page, please click the "like" button, or comment, so even more people might view it, thus honoring an old vet and his family.

Here is the article, as it was published:

From our Quartermaster, Harold Rodenberger:
"A few weeks ago, Julie Small called our office wondering if we could help celebrate her father’s 105th birthday. Since her father had served in the Army in World War II she thought it would be appropriate if some VFW members could attend the birthday celebration and render honors to her father.
On Sept. 16, Color Guard Captain, Joe Fitzgerald, and I arrived at the birthday celebration for Joseph Alex Small. Family and friends gathered around as we congratulated him on his birthday, presented two small American Flags, and his new VFW cap. Near the end of our visit, he whispered in my ear, “I feel overwhelmed.”
As Joe and I left the party and returned to our homes, I reflected on the feelings of love, friendship, and community I had felt there. In addition to Julie and Alex’s son Tom, who had flown up from his home in Texas, there were other family members, neighbors and friends from various backgrounds and circumstances, united in celebrating this momentous occasion.
Sometimes I feel near overwhelmed by all the news of rancor, hate, and divisiveness that bombards us daily. Then I see and feel the powerful feelings of good will at an occasion such as this and am reassured that there are millions of good people in every corner of our country. They gather at homes, schools, churches and other places simply to be together and celebrate some special event.
Good will and friendship usually don’t make the news but it’s good to remember that such feelings are alive and well despite news to the contrary."

2 comments:

  1. Make sure to see Ballard Eagleson VFW Post 3063's posting of this story/picture on its Facebook page! Search for Ballard Eagleson VFW Post 3063.

    ReplyDelete