Wednesday, June 6, 2018

Phakding to Lukla

Wed, June 6th

Departed at 0830

Our teahouse host burns juniper boughs, walks around the place and recites from the holy books for 45 minutes each morning.
Lukla at 1215

After lunch Ramesh celebrated the end of our trek with popcorn. Mike had Sherpa beer and I had ginger tea

While having lunch, heard the distinctive sound of the rock hammer. Went outside and saw a woman sitting on a pile of crushed rock (1" minus) wielding that hammer.  She had an iron ring on a handle and was breaking large rocks down to the right size. Ramesh says she bags up the finished product and sells it to the people who need crushed rock. Tough way to make s living.

A little later, on a walk through town, I saw this appealing sign for one of the local burger shops.  Ramesh says the meat is buffalo or chicken. I saw no reason to try it since I've had no meat since we left Kathmandu.

Dahl baht at least once a day has given me power for the march. Sherpa stew is my other favorite. Between those two and my usual breakfast of oatmeal with two hardboiled eggs, I feel like I'm getting just enough calories to fuel my muscles, probably 3000-3500 calories per day.

Thursday, June 7th

The power went off during dinner last night. That killed the WiFi so couldn't post this update.

We were supposed to fly at 0700 this morning to Kathmandu but it's raining and cloudy so doubt there will be flights today, at least this morning.

We'll eat our 0530 breakfast, wait and see.

No comments:

Post a Comment