Tuesday, July 23, 2019

VFW National Convention - Orlando

Lately, as Post Quartermaster, I have been attending Veterans of Foreign Wars National Conventions more regularly, but attended my first in 1986, when I was post commander, and over the years since I've attended intermittently.

The conventions are held in cities across the country although, to save money for the organization and those attending, they tend to be held in cities where the cost of living is not too high. We've met in places from Reno out west to New Orleans, St Louis, San Antonio, Charlotte, Kansas City, Baltimore, Louisville and, again this year, in Orlando.

This year I booked an Alaska Air nonstop flight from Seatac to Orlando scheduled for departure at 0745 so had to leave home at four-thirty. Picked up Joe, another member of our post, and headed on down to Seatac. Parked in an off-site lot and rode to the terminal. Earlier on line, I had checked in and printed boarding pass and luggage tag so dropped off my bag, breezed through TSA and rode the subway to North Satellite.
Alaska Airlines just opened their new lounge in the North Satellite so stopped in to check it out. It really is a nice lounge and fits their description of "Flagship Lounge." It is located on the third floor, has lots of room to relax and has a large bank of windows facing the runways so there is a great view of  the field with the Olympic Mountains beyond.
We had a good flight to Florida but descending into Orlando we had to roll left and right to avoid thunderheads with their bumps. We landed smoothly thirty minutes ahead of schedule but then had to wait on the tarmac for thirty minutes until another plane finished loading and pushed back freeing up a gate for us.

Caught a Lyft to the hotel, checked in and found that I had been given a courtesy upgrade to a suite with dining area, bar and TV lounge. It was nice but I wasn't entertaining so it was wasted on my single occupancy.

The hotel was about three miles from the convention center. Too far to walk so we were bused back and forth. While riding the bus, I noticed some colorful gardens along the way. When I had a chance I slipped out of the convention center to admire some tropical flowers that were a change from the Seattle flora.



Had business at the convention so couldn't stop too long to smell the flowers but it was a good breath of fresh warm air after the cold convention center. Speaking of, why do building managers think they need to turn their air conditioners down to 65 degrees when it's 90 plus degrees outside? I dress for the warm outside temps then shiver when sitting through the meetings. I've learned to carry my lightweight feather vest so I can fight those icy blasts.

We've had some good speakers. I'll bring you up to date in a post tomorrow after the convention closes.

No comments:

Post a Comment