Sunday, September 29, 2019

80 Year-Old Glasses

Birthdays roll around every year. I celebrated mine a few days ago and am now looking at the world through 80-year-old glasses.

To be honest, the world looks about the same as it did a month ago. Nonetheless, I'd like to pass along some observations and some conclusions garnered over the years.

By and large, people are the same wherever they live. A couple weeks ago I was prompted to recall the number of countries where I've slept. I think I've slept in 42 countries although sometimes it's hard to count because of the way some countries are defined. The Virgin Islands (U.S. & British) come to mind. I also tried to count the number of US States where I've slept. As near as I can figure the total is 43, although I've actually been in all but Maine. It's still on my bucket list. I've also slept on all four main Hawaiian Islands, four provinces in Canada and the four main Islands of Japan.

In all cases where I've visited other countries, the people are pretty much the same. There are slight differences in culture but not enough to make a difference. Politicians, now, they are something else. However, that's grist for another post.

Hasty folk everywhere make me wonder how young folks make it to old age. Well, I guess some of them don't. but I don't think we were in the same hurry when I was young. Looking back through the above-mentioned glasses, I remember a less frenetic pace, at least in our neck of the woods. I think it would be good if our people could relearn the habit of that slower pace. Perhaps they would enjoy life more if they weren't always rushing around trying to get too many things done all the while using one of the screens mentioned below.

 Today there is way too much time spent staring at screens large and small. Orcas Island, where I spent my first years, didn't have a movie theater. I saw my first TV in the late late forties at Granddad's place. It was a small screen with more or less snow depending on the weather between Olga and Seattle. My folks bought their first TV in 1954. It was black and white, of course, and not as good as a movie in a theater, but it was in the home and easy to watch.

Next came color TV. Then came that engineering marvel, the remote control. No longer would a person need to get even the minimal exercise required by manipulating the TV buttons. Now TV's accept verbal commands so we don't even need to exercise a finger. 

With the advent of smart phones we carry a TV-equivalent with us so we can tune in whenever the mood strikes. Although I wonder if it's more of an addiction than a mood that compels us to spend ever more time watching those little screens. They seem engineered to attract our attention. Not good in my opinion.

Maybe because I learned to read before I had access to the screens, the scenes, even the best modern screens, can't match the scenes and pictures in my head, especially those evoked by the well-written word.

Well, I've groused enough. Winter is coming so think I'll go see if I can find some flowers still in bloom. Maybe there's a rose I can stop and smell.

Tomorrow we go to Japan. It is a different tour this year. Younger people, more walking, more places scheduled to visit each day and less time for blogging. I'll do my best.



No comments:

Post a Comment