Saturday, July 4, 2020

Daisies For a Restrained Fourth of July

Daisies that bring you joy are better than roses that bring you sorrow. Matshona Dhliwayo
This Independence Day being rather subdued, I thought the Daisy, being the uncelebrated flower that it is, would be a good symbol of the day. 

Some of my earliest memories are of the final years of WWII. There were no fireworks then on Independence Day, probably because gunpowder was going to the war industries. Rationing made life difficult and I don't remember eating a hot dog on the Fourth, or any other day, until later. Times were grim but Americans were sacrificing for the war effort. 

Other than during those war years, I don't remember a Fourth of July as restrained as what the virus has brought us this year. Americans are being asked to forego a degree of personal pleasure for the common good. I hope we are up to the task. 
Even constrained by concrete and a sturdy fence, these daisies smiled and nodded to me as I walked by their home. I was encouraged by their perseverance and determined to follow their example.
These small English Daisies and the showy Goblin Gallardia, below, each enjoy their place in the daisy world. I take that as a lesson. Even though I'm not the smartest, richest or strongest man in this world, I can find happiness in my own space.

I enjoyed my walk among the daisies. Returning home, I felt inspired to ignore life's petty constraints and search for the beauty that is often hidden in plain sight.

Always have something beautiful in sight, even if it's just a daisy in a jelly glass. H. Jackson Brown Jr.

No comments:

Post a Comment