Sunday, January 30, 2022

Iceland Review

Back home now, I'm remembering and savoring Iceland.  I had a lazy day Thursday recovering from the hectic pace of our sightseeing. Also did some shopping, or tried to. Checked out two pharmacies and a supermarket looking for a couple of items from to the British Isles. Couldn't find them in Iceland. I saw lots of things from the other European countries but struck out for these specific items. 

Sy sent me some photos. A couple from our visit to the Blue Lagoon contrasted the warm water of the Lagoon with the cold wind that was howling across the landscape, and also of the shark tasting. Thanks for sharing, Sy.

Wednesday evening Aaron ordered the fermented shark appetizer. There was a strong smell of ammonia in the container with the small cubes of shark but we all needed to sample it so we could cross that off our to-do list. There was a little taste of ammonia, but mostly it was sort of blah. One of those things I would try but not order again. Friday morning we went to the local Covid test site. The US requires a negative test no more than 24 hours before boarding the return flight. We got our nostrils stabbed then waited for the results. Aaron and I got our results in 45 minutes, but Sy and Russ had to sweat it our for two hours before they got their negative tests. Having cleared that important hurdle, we saddled up and headed for the airport. 

As I mentioned in an earlier entry, the Reykjavik airport terminal is a modern, clean facility. I imagine it could be quite busy and crowded during high season but we were able to take our time and admire the surroundings. 

Two stained glass (I think) artworks hung from the superstructure and looked to be about 8-10 feet across. They reminded me of kites.

The passageway for outbound passengers is designed so the easy path is through the huge duty free store. I had some Icelandic currency left so I managed to spend it there instead of converting it back to dollars. 

In the modern men's room I tried our a new faucet combo. Hold your hands together and scrub under the spigot, then spread them apart and the dryer comes on with a blast of warm air to dry them. 
The return flight had more pax than we had outbound but the plane was still only a little over half full. 

We took off at a little after five local time, flew in perpetual sunset until close to Washington and landed in full sunlight a little before five at SeaTac. Russ and I rode the light rail northbound and again remarked how convenient it was to travel from SeaTac to Northgate on the comfortable train for just a buck for seniors. 

Thinking back on the trip, I had a short but wonderful experience. Saw some new and amazing things and one of the good points was the price. 

The Icelandair package included airfare, hotel, and tours to the Golden Circle, northern lights and Northern Light Center for around $1240 per person double occupancy. They offer a selection of hotels for different prices. Where we stayed (Canopy Hotel) was comfortable with friendly staff and a great American style breakfast buffet. I'd recommend this trip to anyone. 

I think the summer tourist season would have better weather but the large number of tourists would impact the experience. And,  of course, there's little chance of seeing the northern lights in the summertime. 

No comments:

Post a Comment