Saturday, April 4, 2015

Blood Moon

One of my sisters sent me an email yesterday about the rare "Easter weekend blood moon" forecast for this morning.
Kuro checking out the nighttime park

Last night as my little dog, Kuro, and I were walking we saw the full moon rising over Queen Anne Hill here in Seattle. It was gorgeous moon at that point because as it rose through the lower atmosphere it appeared larger and had a brighter tint than normal. The "blood" moon is so called because later last night when the shadow of the earth passed over the moon the color was supposed to go from full yellow-orange to more of a blood red.
Full moon rising over Queen Anne

Along our walking course is the old playfield just below the Magnolia Elementary School. The building hasn't been used as a school for many years and a few years back the city converted the playground from an asphalt-covered playground to a pretty nice park with a walking path around it, swings, teeter totters and such for the children and a grand city overlook for the adults.
Seattle/Elliott Bay overlook at dusk

We enjoyed our walk and because of the sightseeing and lollygagging we finished our walk in the dark. Of course, that doesn't matter to Kuro. As long as I'm willing to walk, night or day, wet or dry, he's happy and his stubby little tail is on high alert or wagging energetically depending on his mood.

I try to take my cue from him and enjoy our walk for its own sake and put aside day (or night) time worries. It's a time to relax and get into the spirit of appreciation that lets things happen at their own pace and significance.

When I went to bed I wasn't thinking of the blood moon but my subconscious must have been wanting to catch a glimpse since I became restless about 0200.

Well, I got up at 0213 and it was a bright white full moon I saw but then an hour later it was mostly hidden by clouds. Sometimes I could see a faint outline but mostly clouds.

At 0300 I started watching the live show on Slooh so I wouldn't miss the eclipse but it wasn't quite the same as watching live from my back porch. Finally the clouds thickened and completely covered my view of the real live moon so I watched the live feed from California via Slooh. Incidentally, slooh.com is the site for all things astrological. If you are interested in the stars, moon or other parts of our universe, you might pay them a visit.

At 0320 the clouds were still blocking my view. The Live Show on Slooh showed the lower left quadrant in full shadow.

0330 - Eclipse still covered by clouds here in Seattle. Local overnight forecast from NOAA was 40% chance of rain with mostly cloudy skies. I gave up on viewing in real time and decided to go back to bed. I'll watch the reruns.

Sometimes things just don't work out the way you planned. To paraphrase the great Robert Burns, The best laid plans of mice and men and the subconscious often go awry. It makes me appreciate even more the times when plans work out for the good.

No comments:

Post a Comment