Thursday, April 23, 2015

Flicker Update Two

For the first time I've had trouble with one of my blog posts. This post about our backyard flickers was originally posted Tuesday evening after I returned from Japan but some readers complained that they never received an email notifying them of the new post. I checked my own email accounts and found the same.

If you go to the blog website you may have seen it and in case you don't know, when you are notified by email of a new post you can click on the title of the post and it will take you to the blog itself where you can see all the entries.

To cure (hopefully) the problem I just deleted the original post and am posting it again. Thanks.

~~~~~~

Well, I guess our flicker family has decided against moving into the newly remodeled house in our backyard. I've been watching from the kitchen window as they come for the suet in the feeder and they don't even glance over toward the house they worked so hard on.

While she was working on the entrance the female would occasionally poke her head in and when she had enlarged the hole enough I saw her actually climb in a few times. But then she didn't come back. I guess something about the interior didn't satisfy her instinctive requirements for a home.

On the other hand, I thought it had great potential as a flicker house. There was the nice morning sun exposure, a moss covered roof to keep out the rain, a good view of the wisteria vine climbing above the feeder and house, close proximity to the suet feeder and several tall trees nearby where the adults like to perch near the top and survey the countryside.

Flicker's eye view of wisteria above the birdhouse and feeder

If I were like big government I could issue a "fair housing standards act" and tell her to move in or I'd stop feeding suet, but I doubt that would work in her case.

It does seem to work for the government though. In cases from schools to roads they say, "Do it our way or we'll take away lots of money." In other cases from new cars to new appliances and light bulbs they say, "Do it our way and we'll give you lots of money." Strange thing is, it's our money they took away to begin with.

Maybe we should get the government out of the meddling business and follow our instincts more?

No comments:

Post a Comment