Sunday, October 11, 2015

Bath and Dinner at Dogo Onsen

As soon as we got settled in at Dogo Onsen we changed to our yukata (summer kimono) and went to the bath. Again, no photographs allowed so you'll have to rely on my verbal description.

As soon as I went into the bath area I was impressed with the all-natural stone pavers on the floors without a piece of vinyl to be seen. The baths were more of the same with ceramic tile on the walls only. Everywhere else down in the bath area was stone.

There were four pools, two labeled 42 degrees and two labeled 39 degrees. The 42 degree pools were hot, but hot the way baths are supposed to be. Turn your skin red but not actually burn. The 39 degree pools were cool in comparison. Looking back I believe the ones at the hotel in Beppu were more in the range of 39-40 degrees instead of the 40-41 range the attendant said. In any case, we were here in Dogo now with spotless baths. Even the cypress stools and water basins were newish. Still had the smell of cypress to them.

After the bath 'twas time for dinner. Tonight was kaiseki again and it was the best we've had so far on this trip.
Starter service

Sashimi. First time I'v seen belt fish as sashimi

Live abalone waiting for the fire to be lit. The stone dish had a
leaf shaped blue cover.

The local beef dish before going into the miso soup.

The chef did a good job of sourcing local foods as well as writing a good menu. These
are the traditional names (in small print) for each course that I mentioned in a
previous post.

Cooked abalone being cut up by one of the helpers. I was surprised
how tender it came out.

Reading this blog I suppose you might think I'm obsessed with food but that's not the case. I think the special kaiseki dinners with the small individual servings, properly matched dishes and foods of the season are better than what can be found in most cuisines of the world. It is a special art to prepare and serve and there is art incorporated into the dishes from start to finish. Although I must admit the food is really good too.

No comments:

Post a Comment