Sunday, January 1, 2017

Walking at Night

I was going to title this post "Walking in the Dark" but when we walk around Seattle, even at midnight, we have street lights, porch lights and reflected big city lights so we never walk in darkness.

It's nice to walk during the day. The scenery attracts attention and the colors are more vivid. There are more people about and many people feel safer in the daylight hours.

In my part of the city we have views of both the Olympic and Cascade Mountains. Rounding a corner or coming upon an open spot, sometimes one or the other pops into view. Sometimes by turning 180 degrees I can see both ranges from the same spot. The distant scenery is a great attraction of walking in daylight hours.

Walking at night, on the other hand, brings an enhanced sense of space. Distant views hidden in darkness, I concentrate more on the space in my small circle of awareness. The coming cross street, the house with many lighted windows across the street and the darker places under overhanging trees compete for my attention. I notice things I wouldn't have glaced at during the day. As an added bonus, when the clouds are scattered I can track the progress of the moon both across the sky and through its phases.

We were the last neighborhood in the city, but a couple years ago Seattle made the transition to LED street lights here in Magnolia. Replacing the older yellow-hued sodium vapor lights with LEDs was a big improvement in my opinion. The lights are brighter, the colors truer and, as a bonus, the city (taxpayers like us) saves money.

This photo shows a view down McGraw Street through Magnolia Village. The street is well lighted yet there is very little wasted light shining into peoples' yards or windows.  


This view of a residential street (26th West), although not as bright as the main street, shows good lighting. You may wonder why the crosswalk is in a darker area. I don't notice it much when I walk that way but did wonder at the picture. Turns out a telephone line splice junction blocks the light from the LED light almost directly above it.
Contrast is sharp from the LED lights. Here you can see my shadow as I snap the picture.

Color rendition is remarkably true with the LED lights
 
I took this photo in the middle of November before cold weather killed many of the flowers but notice how well the colors show up under the LED lights. It's almost like walking in the daylight.

More natural colors and high contrast even in a dimly lit part of a side street.
Some people worry about safety when walking at night but I have a brave little Schnauzer to watch out for me. I also wear a reflective safety vest in the winter darkness and stay alert to my surroundings.

Walking at night is a nice change. Kuro doesn't howl at the moon but I think he appreciates a walk at night too.


No comments:

Post a Comment