Sunday, September 9, 2018

A Day at Sea

Monday, 9/3/18

Last night we sailed up the east side of Vancouver Island, through the inside passage and into Queen Charlotte Sound. The weather was good and the waters untroubled. Since we're sailing up the inside passage there should be very little rocking and rolling on this cruise. Queen Charlotte Sound can be rough and later, when we sail from Skagway to Seward, the Gulf of Alaska can be very rough. Meanwhile, we'll enjoy the calm seas.

For me, days at sea are enjoyable. Today I walked a couple miles on the Promenade Deck, attended a Windows 10 class dealing with the Windows version of Photoshop, read part of a book, took a nap (as I'm wont to do as I've gotten older) and generally played the layabout.

Tonight was a formal night, or "gala night" as they call it now. I wore a coat and tie and Ikuko dressed accordingly. Most people were dressed similarly but there were a few I saw wearing jeans or similar.

I didn't see any tuxedos. I didn't even bring mine knowing that there wouldn't be many in evidence. On our first cruise some 25 years ago, about half the diners were dressed formally with tuxedos and cocktail dresses.

How dress codes have changed. Of course, we didn't see respectable women sporting multiple tattoos and body piercings back then either.

After dinner I listened to a string ensemble for awhile and then moved to take in some blues from another group. Passed on the big stage show tonight since my poor hearing doesn't let me appreciate a comedian. Maybe we'll attend tomorrow when the feature show will be "Playback, with hit songs of yesterday and today featuring the Westerdam Entertainers".




1 comment: