Friday, October 19, 2018

Haneda to Noto (3)


When I have time I'll check to see the acceptable length of my posts. It seems seven photos are about all I can send with one post. I'll live with it for now.

Here are shots of the English handout I received at the old house. It's a trifold document so the first page is the photo of the house. Bottom photo contains pages 2, 3 & 4 in sequence, followed by pages 5 & 6 on the left in the one just below. If you double click on the photo you should be able to manipulate it including enlarging to a legible size.

This shot of the palanquins is the last I had time for. You'll need your imagination for the rest of the house.

From the old house we headed for our hotel, Hyakuraku-sou, which roughly translated means "One hundred ways to enjoy oneself".

This huge Cypress stump graced our hotel lobby
Throughout our hotel there were alcoves and hidden corners containing antique furniture and artwork of various kinds.

This is the "tokonoma" in our room. The dictionary translates the word as "alcove" but, in Japanese it seems also to have the connotation of a place for art.

Even though our room was on the second floor, and even though we were in a developed area, when we looked out all we saw was an extension of the bay and tree covered hillsides.
After we got settled in, I went for a hot bath in the "Cave Bath", down the elevator about 75 feet and looking over this same view. The water in the cave bath is drawn from deep in the bay, heated and circulated into the bath. It felt very good to soak in hot salt water.

Dinner tonight was kaiseki, the multi-course traditional Japanese dinner I mentioned earlier. I'll devote another post to kaiseki. 

No comments:

Post a Comment