Thursday, December 31, 2020

Edmonds Senior Center

Sunday afternoon the weather cleared so I decided to take a walk around the neighborhood and more particularly, to visit the Edmonds Senior Center, now renamed the Edmonds Waterfront Center. In a previous post, I mentioned that I would show you the new building. It was supposed to be open by now so off I went.

Along the way I kept an eye out for any winter-blooming flowers that might have the courage to bloom this time of year. Sure enough, there were several hardy flowers showing their colors.

A rhododendron, perhaps confused by our warmer marine climate, was showing a few blossoms.

One of our local businesses displays pansies year round. I see other beds of pansies elsewhere on my walks. It seems that even when there is freezing weather, the pansies survive to raise their showy heads again when it warms.
I didn't recognize this bush so tried to find it on the internet. It stumped Google too. Maybe one of you experts could attach a comment telling us what it is?
Found these beautiful roses growing in the protected area on the south side of a building not far from the Waterfront Center. There were a few roses in bloom in the city-maintained flower beds along Sunset Avenue, but they are exposed to the north wind so weren't doing so good. 

The fence was still up around the new Waterfront Center so I had to shoot through the fence in the top photo and you'll just have to ignore it in the bottom photo. 

The building sits on some choice real estate. From where I took this photo, the fishing pier is on the right about a block away and the ferry terminal is behind me, also about a block away. The seagull perched on the roof is looking out over the beach and salt water.
Heading back through the residential neighborhood, I came across this fuschia.

This camelia was doing good, but with the rainy weather we've had lately, I think it won't last long.
As I walked around the nearby park, I saw these nice holly berries. Not flowers, of course, but the bright green shiny leaves and contrasting red berries caught my attention.
Again, these are not flowers, but "flowering kale" is a another source of wayside beauty during the winter.
I watch these flowers bloom all winter long, at least in winters past. I think they are a variety of zinnia, but any of you flower experts feel free to post a correction.
Came across these snowberries alongside the trail around the marsh. After the colors of the flowers, I was impressed by the stark gray and brown foliage contrasting with the white berries.

I'm sorry I couldn't do a proper introduction to the Waterfront Center. Perhaps a sunny day will coincide with some free time and I'll try again after the fence is gone.






No comments:

Post a Comment