Sunday, January 17, 2021

Strange Weather

 So far this winter, we haven't had a killing frost here in Edmonds, at least in the lower part of the Edmonds Bowl where we live. My weather monitor reported only one night when the temperature dropped to a little under 32° F. There were several other mornings when there was frost on the ground but the temp never dropped to 32. 

Friday, and again today I took some photos while walking. Walked yesterday too but I was carrying ceiling tiles for the VFW so no time for photos. In any case, even though it's not yet the middle of winter by the calendar, thought you might like to see some winter flowers and early signs of the coming spring.

I'm not sure what kind of bushes these are but their sap is running and buds are swelling. These were beside the nature walk around the north side of the Edmonds Marsh where I frequently walk in the peaceful atmosphere, a little removed from the traffic on Edmonds Way.

Roses is someone's garden, doing quite well in the middle of winter.
The Oregon Grape flower stalks are already forming.
Fuchsias in a planter box on a north-facing deck. They are a little leggy but have been blooming since summer.
The weather has tricked this azalea into blooming early. Typically they bloom in February or March around here, but the warmer temperatures this winter have encouraged them to bloom now.
Some Alder tassels are swelling. Most Alder trees are still dormant but around the marsh I see some tassels growing.
Here's a nice white single camellia. It's a popular flower around here because it blooms almost all winter. Unfortunately our rain makes the flowers rust but when new buds open to sunny weather they are beautiful.

Vinca Minor is common in the understory in many gardens and wooded areas.
Snapdragons aren't supposed to be blooming this time of year but here are a couple braving cold nights to bring color to this garden.
This is the time for rosemary to bloom. I see lots of them and they bloom around now if planted in a garden. There is even one large hedge of rosemary on one of my walks. I grow a rosemary plant near my front door where it can get a little sun. Since it's in a container it doesn't bloom until the fall but it gives me fresh rosemary whenever I want it.
Another beautiful camellia flower.
Heather is another plant that normally blooms in the winter. This one is not unusual.
Hellebores are also common around Edmonds. In fact, I have a couple on my deck. Their flowers aren't as bountiful as these but they aren't doing bad for container plants facing north.

A shy double camellia flower showing the world its intricate design. 
I think this is Alyssum having a flowering good time. 
On the way back home today walking down a nearby alley, I couldn't resist taking a photo of this old gate. Don't know about you, but it struck a chord with me. Some rot here and there, covered with moss, slowed by foot-tangling plants, but still standing and enjoying the great outdoors and this year's strange winter weather. 




No comments:

Post a Comment