Friday, September 10, 2021

Olympia (9/8/21) Second half

Having been immersed in antiquity most of the morning and early afternoon, it was time for a break. 

After we finished our lunch, our guides had us stop on the outskirts of Olympia for a visit to a jewelry store with "authentic Greek jewelry" at prices from "40 to 40,000 Euros." I wasn't interested in jewelry so decided to check out the surroundings instead. The photos that follow are things that caught my eye both near the jewelry shop and earlier as I walked around near the restaurant.

The single roses grew on vines similar to our wild roses, but there were significant differences.

These flowers that look like morning glories were growing up through the bush of blue flowers. The morning glory flower colors were vibrant in the noonday sun.

These lemons beside the sidewalk invited a touch. I wondered if a thirsty passerby might take one to add to a cocktail later in the day? 
Hills near Olympia burned in the recent fires. Our guide said the firefighters worked hard to prevent the fires from entering the Olympia ruins area.
Roses seemed to do well in this locale. I saw the mortared field stone patios in many places.

Near this walnut tree was a "Y" intersection where a side road joined the main road. There was a stop sign for the side road, but I saw a few motorcyclists who crossed themselves as they approached, slowed slightly, and then blew right through the stop sign at speed as they joined the main road.
More flowers in the vicinity of the shop.





These petunias were thriving but looked a little parched in the afternoon sun.

On my way back to the bus, I noticed these flowers in permanently in full bloom.
I had to hustle back to the bus to join those who had been shopping for jewelry. I think I had the more refreshing break.

Back at the dock, I snapped a pic of our floating home.

The Eurodam is a newer ship commissioned in 2008. Earlier I said she carried about 2300 passengers. I overestimated. Actual capacity is 2104. On this cruise, according to our dining room steward, there are only 800 passengers. 

There was a yacht named Christina moored on the other side of the pier. Found out that it once belonged to some guy named Aristotle Onassis. Compared to the Eurodam, it doesn't look so big but at 325' it's the 48th largest yacht in the world and currently charters for about $662,550 per week.
As we sailed from Katakolon on calm seas, the sun set on a busy day.



No comments:

Post a Comment