Tuesday, March 3, 2015

Spring



Wild bluebells on the hill behind my office at the VFW
Around this time of year I begin to think of spring. The days are getting longer and the temperatures are starting to warm a little. The earliest flowers are opening and some of the ornamental trees are starting to bloom. The Territorial seed catalog has come and I have roughed out my order. 

The last few years it seems spring comes even earlier because of the addition of extra daylight saving time when the changeover date was moved from the last part to the first part of March a few years back. Not that we really have more light but the extra light in the evening is handy.

This winter in the Seattle area has been warmer than normal.  I saw an article in the Seattle Times a day or so ago that showed the adjusted dates for the Skagit Valley Tulip Festival. It will start on March 27th this year instead of the usual date in April to accommodate the earlier blooming of the flowers.

Wild cherry tree getting exuberant 
All winter we've been walking in the dark so the thing I like best is the prospect of taking my little dog, Kuro, for a walk after dinner in the last of the daylight starting next week. Of course, he doesn't much care whether there's daylight or not. He just wants to w-a-l-k. I have to spell the word instead of saying it so he doesn't get too excited.

On the downside our warm winter has meant hard times for ski resorts and we may have water rationing in the summer. 

If I had my choice I'd have a winter not quite so warm with more snow (in the mountains only, please) and more sun in my backyard. Guess I don't get my choice when it comes to the weather so I'll just have to plan more vacations in the tropics.

2 comments:

  1. Harold, my hat is off to you. You are doing marvelously as a relative neophyte blogger! You don't have to keep this comment, but at least you can see how the comment process works. If you set up an approval system you should get an email notifying you; if not it will just post and you can delete it at your leisure.

    I will send you an email directly with some insights about the first paragraph problem but I'm not sure they will help. As an alternative, why not set the background on all posts to be that light green color? It looks very nice. It's just a matter of taking out the white setting. You'll see the difference when comparing the code to your post today. Charles

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your comment Charles. And for your help. I've tried various ways to fix the first paragraphs to no avail. I'll try to set the green background to cover the transferred word documents as well.

      Delete