Saturday, March 7, 2015

Travels

Yesterday Ikuko and I were traveling through Salt Lake City to Las Vegas. The view through the terminal windows of the mountains surrounding Salt Lake City was startlingly vivid. The recent snows have whitened the mountains and foothills right down to the valley floor.  It reminds me that travel typically is a broadening experience.
 
Sunrise from a SEATAC terminal window
When I was a young shaver, knee high to a grasshopper, as grandpa used to say, I was captive to my parents' (mostly father's) decisions to move around the northwest. We moved from Orcas Island to the Seattle area, back to Orcas, to Coeur d’Alene, to Portland, back to Orcas and then to Bellingham; sometimes living in various parts of those areas. During those travels I managed to attend nine different elementary schools.

Those moves were sometimes, no, usually, painful for a youngster. Adjusting to new geography and new people while all the time adjusting to a growing body and psyche could be, and usually was, painful. Even though stressful and sometimes even painful, I think those moves laid the groundwork for a life of more enjoyable travel.

As an adult I enjoyed traveling in the Army for 22 years seeing new places and new people. Well, most of that travel was enjoyable. Even during the year I spent in Vietnam I managed to travel to Japan, Okinawa and The Philippines on business. From the south of my own country (definitely a new people) to the Orient, (as it was then known) to South and Central America I, and for most of that time my family, saw new places.

In Japan I went to hot springs and snow festivals and traditional Japanese Inns. Climbed Mt Fuji, traveled by bus and bike and train in a foreign country not knowing the language, depending on sign language and good-natured people for help navigating to destinations most people only dream of.

In Hawaii I body surfed at wailea and stole the occasional pineapple from the fields bordering our radio research station at Helemano. In those days (1964) the Island of Oahu was covered with pineapple and sugar cane fields.

While serving as an adviser to the South Carolina National Guard (1967-68) I saw the remnants of segregation including "white" and "colored" water fountains and restrooms. I was there during the shootings and riots at Orangeburg. We walked under the moss-covered oaks of old Charleston before it was cool to visit there and we risked traveling through the rural areas even though Ikuko and I were in violation of the miscegenation laws as partners in an interracial marriage.

While stationed in San Antonio we visited the Alamo, walked the River Walk before it was paved and visited Old Laredo before it was dangerous. We also gave our oldest son the honor of being a Texan by birth.

Panama was a boon to my wanderlust. Being on the Southern Command inspection team I visited most of the countries in South and Central America on official business. But business didn't stop us from visiting the local attractions in our off time. From Cuzco and Machu Pichu in Peru to ancient ruins in Guatemala and Honduras to Copacabana and Sugar Loaf in Rio to the white sands of Barbados we did our best to combine business with pleasure.

Uncle Sam got us there and back. It sometimes wasn't so comfortable sitting in web sling seats but the price was right. Itaipu dam (largest power output in the world at the time) under construction in Brazil, Stroessner's Paraguay, Rio de la Plata and Iguazu Falls in Argentina, leather manufacturing plants in Uruguay, vineyards in Chile and seeing the elusive quetzal in the mountain rain forests of Guatemala all contributed to the wealth of good travel memories.

In Panama itself I fished for Peacock Bass in Lake Gatun, portaged canoes over the continental divide and paddled down the Rio Indio. Camped near David in the northern highlands and drove down the unpaved road to the Darien in the southern lowlands. Caught butterflies in the jungle and toasted cashew nuts over an open fire while drinking an astringent fruit punch made from the cashew fruit.

Wow! I see this entry has grown quickly. Too much of one thing can be boring and I don’t want to bore you. I think I need to break down travels into sections and post them as the mood strikes.

Meanwhile, our trip to Las Vegas was sidelined by the weather in the northeast. You might wonder how weather up there could affect our travels in Salt Lake City but it did. Friday is a busy day in any case for air travel and yesterday, United and American were busy buying up all the spare seats on Delta (where we were traveling standby) to accommodate their own cancelled flights in the northeast and rerouting those passengers through different hubs to get them on their way.

Ikuko and I waited through two much overbooked flights to Las Vegas and finally gave up and decided to return to Seattle instead of taking a chance on getting through to LV. I think I can repeat in my sleep that worrisome announcement for standby travelers: “This flight is overbooked and we are looking for volunteers to give up their seats in return for $500 Delta Dollars and rebooking on a later flight.”

After waiting through five Seattle bound overbooked flights we finally got on one at 2155 and made it home by midnight. Of course our one checked bag went on the Las Vegas but the nice folks at Delta arranged for it to come back to Seattle and I went back out to SEATAC today to retrieve it.

Sunset from a Salt Lake City Airport Window
Most inveterate travelers soon learn to be flexible and I learned that lesson long ago. Sometimes travels go smoothly according to plan but sometimes things go gunny bag (or croker bag as my South Carolina acquaintances said) and you must look for alternatives, try another route or just plain modify your plans.

When you think about it, the uncertainty of outcome sometimes increases the pleasure of travel. When some people set off they have an ironclad route, time checks along the way and plans for each day. If things go south their whole trip is ruined.


Not me. I've found that I travel best when I’m more flexible. I never know when a new adventure will emerge from the ruins of the old. Maybe that’s a result of my childhood when I was never really sure where we would be moving on the morrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment