Saturday, June 20, 2015

Long Days

Tomorrow is the longest day of the year here in Seattle.

Today and for the last nine days the Sun has risen at 5:11 in the morning and today and for the next 11 days it sets at 9:11 in the evening. We are toward the western side of the Pacific Time Zone so the Sun rises and sets about 20 minutes later than it does in Spokane which is toward the eastern side of our time zone. Today, for instance, the Sun rose at 4:51 this morning and sets at 8:51 thisevening over there in Spokane.

I was up this morning at 4 puttering around the house and thought I would take a picture or two of the rising sun at its northernmost point. As near as I can tell without fancy instruments the sun rose this morning at a point about 41 degrees north of due east. Tonight it will set in about the same location in the West.

Here in Seattle tomorrow will be 8 hours and 34 minutes longer than the shortest day of the year at Winter Solstice.

Many people don't realize it but we are well north of Quebec City and Montreal and in fact north of any part of Maine so our summer days are long and winter days are short.





Just prior to sunrise NE of my house.



Another picture to the northeast.


Another disadvantage of posting from my phone is that I can't add captions to the pictures. As a field expedient (as they used to say in the army) I will add text below the pictures and see how that works.

posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment:

  1. This one I really enjoyed!! It's amazing the difference in length of days in our seasons. It's something I've noticed more as I've aged.

    ReplyDelete