Monday, July 20, 2015

Pittsburg

Sunday was a good day to explore some of Pittsburgh's local attractions.

For starters a couple of us walked down to Point State Park where the Monongahela and Allegheny Rivers merge to become the Ohio River. This was the location of Ft Pitt, an important post during the early years of our country.

We spent a couple hours in the Ft Pitt museum and the original blockhouse. While touring the museum I learned that Lewis and Clark actually started their exploratory trip here before going down the Ohio and their more highly publicized kick off up the Missouri River.

Fountain at the Point behind me with The West End Bridge over the Ohio behind me on the left and the Pirates stadium on the right.

A replica of an old wood lathe caught my attention.


For lunch we stopped at a small Italian restaurant where I ordered my first stromboli. It was an interesting dish. A kind of inside out pizza with meat and cheese on the inside of a half moon pizza dough pie. Similar to what I've had out west as a calzone but larger.

After a short rest I spent a couple more hours visiting the Heinz Museum, a worthwhile visit if you like museums and have a little time to spare in Pittsburg.

Today we've been busy with VFW business so no time for sightseeing. After much discussion the by-laws change to make our auxiliary gender neutral passed so that will keep us busy for awhile after we get back home.

Governor Tom Wolf addresses the assembly. In addition to his welcome he gave a short but good speech on democracy.


posted from Bloggeroid

1 comment: