Sunday, May 20, 2018

Rest Day in Junbesi

Monday,  May 14th

Today is a rest day. Time for muscles to recuperate, laundry to be washed and batteries recharged.

Last night I was disappointed to see no cell service or internet.  Asked Ramesh if there were an internet cafe or some other way to find a connection.

I learned something new. Ramesh and I walked down the road a piece and found a "trekkers store" where they sold internet cards. For 220 Rupees I got a small card with a username and a scratch off password.

In the store I was invited to sit on one of the stools (photo posted in last blog entry) used by the locals. They seem very sturdy and comfortable.  Western style chairs or benches are in the common rooms but these were in kitchens all along our trail.

After having no connectivity for three days, I was happy to be back on line. That happiness diminished when I was told the service at our teahouse was marginal. No service inside and weak signal outside except moderately good service (subject to fade outs) at a particular table in the garden.

This morning I saw flashes of lightning at little before 0400, then came the rain. It rained until 0930 so our planned trip to the local monastery was postponed. Every thirty minutes or so I would go to the garden internet spot but no signal. Ramesh says the internet is sporadic. Hope I can transfer updates from memo to blog.

Rain off and on all day so we stayed close to home rather than walk in the rain. It did give us a chance to relax and take it easy.

This morning we gave our dirty clothes to the woman who ran the place. She washed and hung them on a line under the roof but it's been raining so they weren't drying well.

About 1500 she built a fire in the stove in the common room and arranged our clothes around it. Made me appreciate the washer and drier we have at home.

 During a break in the rain I took a walk along the short main street. Saw a typical 7-11 type store selling essentials to both townsfolk and trekkers.

I've been intrigued by the handmade copper pots in the common room.


This gate lined with prayer wheels, marks the edge of town.

1 comment:

  1. great entries to your blog. Nice to be caught up to date and see where you have been. I bet it was really nice to have a day of rest!! Take care and try to keep us posted, plz :-)

    ReplyDelete