Friday, May 4, 2018

Headin' for the Hills

My tests were all good. Blogger has made some good changes so it's easier to post from my phone.

It's been a busy time preparing for the trek while still doing volunteer work for my VFW (Veterans of Foreign Wars) Post and doing some training for the trek. Old legs have to be trained constantly or they quickly lose what little strength they have left at my age. 

One afternoon (outdoors) was dedicated to spraying my trail clothes with permethrin (bug repellent) so the lower altitude flying insects look for more tasty morsels. It might even scare off the leeches (I hope). Permetrin is pretty good stuff. It smells bad when it's sprayed on but when dry it has no smell and will last through six washes or six months, whichever comes first. We used in the summer of 2015 when we toured northern Vietnam and Laos (see my blog for 2015) and I was impressed how well it worked.

I'm heading for the airport this afternoon to catch our flight to Dubai. Fourteen hours and some minutes from SEATAC we arrive in Dubai, layover 14 hours then go on to Kathmandu (five hours and change) where we'll have a rest day then set out for the hills.

Nepal is twelve hours and 45 minutes ahead of PDT so when it's the middle of the day here it is the middle of the night there. We'll adjust to the time change while adjusting to the altitude. That's a double benefit of taking it easy the first few days.

Will post updates whenever I have time and WiFi is available.

3 comments: