Tuesday, May 22, 2018

Trekking Steps

Monday, May 21st

Today we're taking an unscheduled rest day to help Russ get back up to speed.

While we're resting, thought I'd take time from posting my updates and give you an idea what walking these trails is like.

I've already told you about the ups and downs. The uphills give the legs, heart and lungs a workout. The downhills are tough on the knees and thighs.

In addition to the physical stress, there is the mental alertness required by spotting the best place to put each foot. A misplaced foot might result in a slip such as Russ had.  Also there are the missing steps, mud puddles,  mules droppings, loose rocks and other hazards requiring an eagle eye. All the while I'm doing that, I need to watch where to place my poles. Sometimes the poles find their own purchase but often they need to be planted securely to aid in balance or help the arms push on the big steps up and help cushion the big steps down.

To add another factor, we all carry day packs.  Mine weighs twenty pounds plus in the morning with a full load of water and decreases during the day depending on my water consumption, but usually ends up at about fifteen pounds. It doesn't sound like much but the weight throws my center of balance off and hinders quick movement if required.

So there you go.  It's not a walk on a city  sidewalk, but it sure is exciting.

We spent the day resting. Some washed a few clothes. We walked through the market street and I bought some cough syrup to fight the cough that has dogged me since the day after we left Kathmandu.

Day of rest over, we hit the trail again tomorrow.

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete